Log in

No account? Create an account
Sarge [userpic]


May 14th, 2010 (06:37 am)

current location: United States, Washington, Seattle
current mood: exhausted
current song: Breaking Benjamin - I Will Not Bow

Hmmm...let's start with the final couple of weeks onboard. It was very amusing going through every drill known to man as I made my final push towards freedom. Most memorable was the time a co-worker came into the workspace after I had just came back from an underway replenishment, walked to the back, came back forward going; "Aah! Aah! OMG!" Needless to say the rest of the watch and myself just kinda looked at her with a quizical look as she had a rubber prosetic simulating her hand being chopped off over her hand. Finally she says; "I'm serious guys." We finally jumped into action breaking open the training medical bag and completed that drill. The action didn't end there as I finally made it down to berthing shortly after to take a shower to get the grime off from the unrep.

Walking into berthing I quickly got ready to shower and came walking around the corner to the showers to see five shipmates fleeing the scene of one of our corpsman simulating an injury on the floor...these guys flat out ran away from the scene. Draped in a towel held in one hand and shampoo and soap in other I came forward to render aid to the "injured" corpsman. As I started the process of getting the victim to put pressure on the wound and making sure there wasn't anything else wrong when I was stopped by the training team member observing the scenario. I was thanked for my proper response to the situation and told to stop what I was doing so that they could track down the five people that fled the scene before I came up. Needless to say I had gotten done with my shower, redressed and was heading out of berthing before the tounge lashing was done. I think those guys were "trained" in proper first aid for about an hour and a half...heheheh.

The time finally came for the ship to hit Singapore and allow me to disembark. Before we could do that we had to do a series of drills leading to a simulated abandon ship scenarieo. I actually got to be a casuilty, suffering a burned arm requiring treatment. It was quite funny watching my co-workers try and do treatment as I went into "shock". Later that week I was given a pleasent surprise as my co-workers got togeather to have a little going away party. The set up was entirely random but it worked out that everyone from my division was able to make it and give their well wishes. There had been a cake planned but of course the day crew in the galley cut it up for lunch so I guess I got to celebrate my going away with more people then they had planned...heh. I recieved a very cool gift as well, an ipod shuffle along with a card signed by the division. My ipod nano that I used for around four years for workspace music had finally suffered a battery burnout so the new ipod was a great replacement.

Of course I've still to use it. Unfortunately my itunes install was not complete on my computer and wouldn't recognize the new ipod. Despite numerous install and uninstall attempts I've yet to get itunes back on my laptop so I will probably have to wait till I get home to install on my home computer that I'm anxiously waiting to use for the first time as well...Well, I have to board my final flight to get home. I promise to post more soon!


Posted by: thelunarfox (thelunarfox)
Posted at: May 18th, 2010 04:34 am (UTC)

Congrats! You did your service and now you're free! So what're you going to do now?

Posted by: Sarge (sarge104)
Posted at: May 21st, 2010 10:50 pm (UTC)

Thank you, just got internet today and tomorrow I am going to watch drag racing for the weekend! I will try and get some new pictures up on my DA account after I come back.

As for jobs, after I am finally discharged I will interview for the border patrol and a couple other jobs that I've got my eye on...right now I'm just glad to be home and able to finally fix stuff up!

2 Read Comments