Log in

No account? Create an account
Sarge [userpic]

Kota, Kinabalu

April 20th, 2009 (01:27 am)

current mood: okay

Pulled into Kota, Kinabalu and had a blast both liberty days. I was relieved from my watch at 0530 and headed out to meet our guide Dawat. As we waited for the others we discussed the mountain and why only Americans carried gps’s…hahaha. Soon it was time to leave and there was a moment of “What the?” as our guide, seated on the left side, looked back at us and started briefing us while the vehicle was moving. Luckly they drove on the left side of the road here and the right side of the vehicle had the steering wheel that our driver, a very quiet and reserved individual proceeded to treat the vehicle like it was a Ferrari on our way to the trial head. Once again I was made to sign a waiver that I should probably not tell my mother about before we received our badges to wear on our hike and it was game on.


Finally made it to the mountain and started our hike at eight and we enjoyed a light sprinkle of rain, and a couple of waterfalls, as we ground out two kilometers at a steady pace. Soon though, I found that my bag that held pretty much everything and the fact that I hadn’t slept in a couple days started to slow me down. The scenery was great despite the overcast day but as we hiked higher and higher I definitely wasn’t catching a sixth or seventh wind.


Our goal was to get to the summit but as the hours wound down it was getting clear that we probably wouldn’t make to the gate about a kilometer and a half from the summit before the 12 o’clock dead line. The last 400 meters before the gate definitely had me wondering what I had gotten myself into. We took a two hour break before heading back down. Despite gravity being in our favor it took us four hours to return to the trail head. Going up was tough and going down was just as difficult due to the large steps and beat up legs. Was able to get some good pictures of a red carnivorous worm and of a pitcher plant on my way down, it felt really good to take those final steps up the ramp and to the vehicle completing our 3,272.70 meter climb.


The second day had me up early at six just to make sure I stretched out and got ready to get off the ship. After waiting for my liberty buddy to get ready we were finally off the ship by eight. Made a bee-line to a shop called Top Secret…hahaha, to grab some food before we started to wander around the town of Konta, Kinabalu. I grabbed some hazelnut coffee, watermelon juice, and a chicken curry pie.


I flipped on the gps as we left the shop and saw that a cache was ten minutes away. We were side tracked as my liberty buddy made a stop to buy some movies. As we made our way back to the cache we passed by a police station, on the fence is a no trespassing sign. They depict this as a man with a gun pointing it at a man running away…well put sir, well put.


The cache is near an old clock tower that is one of the oldest structures in the town. After taking pictures of both the tower itself and the signs around it we found the cache and I introduced another person to geocaching. Afterwards we started back towards the mall.


After we made our way back to the mall my liberty buddy suggested we get massages. After hobbling up and down the stairs to the cache and back I agreed and we entered one of the places in the mall where quite a few people from the ship had gone too and had good reviews.


Now to my admittedly limited knowledge of massage therapy the purpose of the therapy is to relax you. Well when the little 90 pound lady  started working on the knotted muscles from the day before it made time stand still as agony wracked my mind. The foot massage afterwards didn’t make things any different as the muscles screamed as they were kneaded. I will have to admit that I walked better afterwards.


We continued our exploration of the city and stopped by the water front to take pictures. My liberty buddy had stopped by a good restaurant a couple days before so when the owner inquired if we wanted to eat there we said yes. The food was great, my liberty buddy had crab and I had some rack of lamb and for dessert I had some terrorisme. During our meal we were constantly bugged by hawkers trying to sell sunglasses, pens, watches, and belts. It got to the point where I joked that the next time I saw them I would use the nut crackers they gave us for the crab.


Continuing our meandering we found another mall that we had a great time exploring. It seemed that anything electronic you wanted could be found here and it was funny to find a store that sold kids toys and weapons at the same time. Went to the top floor to find that on both sides of the floor there were arcades. These guys really like their karaoke because half of both arcades were taken up by the song booths.


Had a great time despite the soreness of the hike and I truly do hope to attempt Mt. Kinabalu again, only this time reach the summit. The people were friendly and the surroundings were interesting, all and all a very enjoyable experiance.


Posted by: Risu (skwerly)
Posted at: April 20th, 2009 01:36 am (UTC)

terrorisme for dessert??

Posted by: Sarge (sarge104)
Posted at: April 20th, 2009 02:53 pm (UTC)

I know I spelled it wrong but I can't seem to get the right spelling...I think its pronounced Tera-sue-me if that helps, it is a layered dessert with cake/creme/chocolate, and is most delicious!

Posted by: Sarge (sarge104)
Posted at: April 20th, 2009 03:05 pm (UTC)

Tiramisu! That is what it was!

Posted by: Risu (skwerly)
Posted at: April 20th, 2009 08:23 pm (UTC)


Oh man, and here I thought it was some sort of dessert that was so decadent, it was terror to one's health.

I love tiramisu! :3

Posted by: Sarge (sarge104)
Posted at: April 21st, 2009 01:55 pm (UTC)

Heheheh, I'm sure a lot of people will wonder what I was talking about when they read the journal but I hope they read the comments because it takes a long time edit things here while underway.

While it was delicious I'm sure if you ate too much of it it could become a terror to your heart, that is for sure, it was just so sweet it was unbelievable.

Posted by: Risu (skwerly)
Posted at: April 21st, 2009 02:18 pm (UTC)

so sweet? :/
The ones I like are the really soft tiramisu that's totally soaked with the espresso so not too sweet.

Posted by: Sarge (sarge104)
Posted at: April 21st, 2009 02:54 pm (UTC)

I think it was the mascarpone that was pretty rich but you are right there was a hint of espresso at the begining. They used a dark chocolate on mine that went very well with the rest of the flavors.

Posted by: Risu (skwerly)
Posted at: April 21st, 2009 04:33 pm (UTC)

Most likely the mascapone. I love that deserty cheese. So rich and creamy. *_*
*begin tiramisu craving*

Posted by: thelunarfox (thelunarfox)
Posted at: April 21st, 2009 04:13 am (UTC)

Mmmm, tiramisu is delicious.

You adventures always sound so fun, but I get worn out just reading about them. Poor guy, do you ever sleep? XD

I can't wait to see the picture of the red carnivorous worm. That sounds too cool.

Posted by: Sarge (sarge104)
Posted at: April 21st, 2009 02:44 pm (UTC)

It was very delish :D, as for being tired it comes with the territory. I really don't know what I'll do when I get out and actually get eight hours of sleep a night, make a leggo replica of the empire state building maybe?

The worm is from the leech family but it doesn't suck blood, just eats other worms. When we asked what ate the worms the guides reply was insects. When I show the picture you can probably imagine my surprise to find out there are insects big enough to take on these worms. I'm just glad we didn't run into any of them...lol.

Posted by: thelunarfox (thelunarfox)
Posted at: April 22nd, 2009 01:29 am (UTC)

Haha, when you do get out you will drive loved ones mad. I know with the military men I've known, especially my dad, it's all about going to sleep late and waking early.

You might be able to make a replica of New York city with enough legos.

Posted by: Sarge (sarge104)
Posted at: April 22nd, 2009 08:25 am (UTC)

To scale, ;).

I know I drive Jen crazy when I come home with the geocaching and waking up early.

12 Read Comments